Wednesday, June 3, 2009

strawberry muffins



These muffins are very healthy, but surprisingly delicious, considering the incident that prompted their creation. Yesterday morning, after I looked around in the fridge for breakfast options, I realized that I'd left a week-out-of-date strawberry yogurt in my lunch bag, on the floor of the living room all night. It was completely at room temp. and so naturally, I thought, "maybe it's still good, i'll open it up and try some." It was actually delicious, didn't taste bad at all, but I decided to play it safe and use the yogurt in a batch of strawberry muffins.



I made a whole wheat muffin recipe and added freeze dried strawberries to the batter which was, of course, moisted by my rather dubious low-fat strawberry yogurt. Not bad, considering the origins.

2 comments:

Lunette Gleason Fleming said...

No doubt you are related to Grandma Gleason. This is exactly the sort of thing she would do with questionable food that is still to good to throw away. I will try it myself with some not-so-questionable strawberry yogurt, but the freeze dried strawberries I don't know where to find.

Lynnea said...

=) yep, it's true, i tend to approach food, particularly rotting food, in the same way that grandma does. I mean, I just want to get my money's worth out of it. although I did throw out a bit of chicken the other day that I had some real doubts about.

I found the freeze-dried strawberries at trader joes. I am quite sure that fresh strawberries would make the muffins a hundred times better.