Tuesday, November 27, 2007

finishing out thanksgiving dinner and watching The Children's Hour

So, yesterday I made two more of thanksgiving dinner's dishes, curried squash and mushroom soup and sticky toffee pudding. I still have the yams to make(although I did bake one for my mid movie snack tonight). The soup was from Moosewood cookbook, which is one the best and most useful cookbooks I've ever used. I also made the pumpkin pie recipe from this book. The sticky toffee pudding recipe is from an itty bitty English cookbook of puddings which Clare brought me from England. This was one of the most fantastic things I've ever made! So good. Oh goodness gracious. Everyone must make it immediately.

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Pudding
6 oz stoned dates, roughly chopped
1/2 pint boiling water
2 oz butter
6 oz caster sugar(I used regular sugar)
8 oz flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 medium egg
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Toffee Sauce
2 oz butter
3 oz brown sugar
2 tablespoons double or single
cream

Set over to 350 degrees F. Pour boiling water over dates and bicarbonate of soda and leave to stand. Cream butter and sugar together in bowl until pale in colour. Gradually stir in the egg, flour and baking powder. Stir in the dates with the liquid and lastly add the vanilla. Put mixture into a greased 2 1/2 pint ovenproof dish and bake for approximately 40 min. until risen and firm to the touch. Make the sauce by boiling the ingredients together for 2 min. and pour over the warm pudding.
Make this recipe Today.

I spent this evening by myself since Matthew was at his beer brewer's meeting. So I watched the movie The Children's Hour with Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine. This was such an excellent movie. I've always loved Audrey Hepburn movies but I've avoided this one because it sounds so depressing and it is rather a bit, but it is too well done not to watch.

Anyway, it's been a jolly little week.

No comments: