Monday, October 8, 2007

Yummiest of Dinners

So, I find that I often impress myself with my own cooking. I've always prefered either mine or my mother's home cooking over anything else(a point of contention for Matthew and I since all I do is compare every meal to something my mother makes or to what I could make). So, last Saturday I invited our friends Pat and Matt over for a yummy Pork loin roast dinner with mashed potatoes, broccoli salad and desserts from Bread and Cie.

The Pork Loin recipe as adapted from some odd Betty Crocker cookbook that was given to me as a gift.

One pork loin(mine was very small, not quite two pounds)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

3 garlic cloves chopped fine

mix all but the loin together and then rub it onto the loin(I wash all my meat) after you've stabbed the loin a few times with a sharp knife; try to get some of the rub into the stab holes.

Roast in a skillet or other roasting pan for an hour pouring like 1/2 cup water into the pan half way through cooking. Pork loin should roast for 25 min per pound at 325 F and should be 160 at the thickest point when done. Mine was like 175 in the middle but it was fantastic.

Then spoon over this yummy raisin apple sauce.

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup raisins

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 apple chopped

1 teaspoon cornstarch(or potato starch if you forgot to buy cornstarch, like i did)

1 tablespoons cold water

Boil first 4 ingredients for five min then add apple for another five min and then add cornstarch and water slurry for 1-2 min.

slurry is mix of starch and water

The sauce is great on everything!

We served a really nice Pinot Noir(gift from friend Cole) with dinner and then had a lovely blackberry dessert wine with dessert which was yummy.

Matthew and I really like red wine with Pork. White is just too light and pork has so much flavor.

No comments: