Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Big Girl Canning

Today, for the first time in many, many years, I used an actual hot water bath to seal up my home made peach jam. It has been two years since my last attempt to seal up a sad little batch of Limequat curd and we all remember how that went!

Naturally, I used my new, itty bitty jars.

I felt very grown up doing things properly with sanitation and nice lids and using pectin, all the things I've avidly avoided in my jam making since moving to the most miniature apartment in the world (perhaps a slight exaggeration since mice tend to find it very roomy). Fortunately, all my jars sealed properly and the jam has set nicely; I guess I haven't completely forgotten everything I know about canning.

This jam was made with honey, instead of sugar, and so it has a slightly richer flavor than if I had made it with sugar. I also added about a tablespoon of vanilla extract to the jam to give it a slightly more complex flavor. Yum!

No comments: