Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I can still pretend it's fall





Despite what the calendar says, Matthew and I are having a tiny thanksgiving dinner tonight. We had a fantastic thanksgiving dinner with friends on Thursday, but we still have to use up the free ham(from work) and the little pumpkin I bought for decorative purposes. I am still stuck in fall motif. Perhaps today will be my last stand for fall and the loveliness of my favorite season. (I actually already decorated for Christmas and will post photos of the darling Hello kitty tree and the darling Ghibli tree at a later date.) After today it will be all Christmas, all the time.

I was just enchanted by the delicate color and feel of the pumpkin puree. Not sure why it is so different than usual but I really liked this year's pumpkin. It was delicious with just a touch of salt and agave syrup on it for a snack.



This year, I did not make the Moosewood Cookbook pumpkin pie recipe. Instead, I made the pie with sweetened condensed milk. I've never made a pumpkin pie with SCM but since I've had a can of it in the cupboard for quite some time, I figured it was long past time to use it. I actually didn't realize how popular this type of pumpkin pie is and was surprised at the number of recipes that call for SCM.



Of course, I over cooked the pie but It still looks very good. The sweet little maple leaf and apple edging is particularly appealing. So Cute!




2 comments:

Lunette Gleason Fleming said...

But how did it taste? Is it better than pies made with evaporated milk? I've never had one made with SCM. Should I start a new standard for Thanksgiving?

Lynnea said...

The pie was delicious, but certainly a much sweeter pie than matthew and I are used to eating. I would certainly make the recipe again but it wasn't as healthy as my usual recipe.