Sunday, January 27, 2008

My drug of choice is...

Theraflu, specifically the Daytime Severe Cold version of the medicine. This stuff is crazy. I have no idea what they put in it to make me so hyper and full of energy but it works very well. I mean it makes me want to just do chores all day long. The only thing that kept me from cleaning everything in sight was the knowledge that I was in fact sick, despite how I felt, and that my incredibly runny nose would just spread germs as quickly as I cleaned.

That's my only complaint, it decongests and therefore does not stop a runny nose. As soon as it wears off, I remember why I took it in the first place, but until then having a head cold does little to stop me from doing more, with more energy, than I ever do when I'm perfectly well. I think I already feel an addiction forming, so hopefully I'll be fully well by tomorrow(and I won't have an excuse to use it). I'm having trouble resisting the tempting thought that this could be rather useful, for those days off when I just don't feel like doing chores.

The problem with whatever energizing ingredient they put in this version of theraflu(it isn't listed, at least not that I can tell) is that it makes me want to stop resting and do something, anything to keep from being idle. The benefit is that it helps me focus. Yesterday, after finishing up making a delicious pot of soup, doing the dishes, taking out the trash and fighting off the urge to clean the entire top of the fridge(believe me it is nasty) I was able to read for a couple of hours with such focus that I finished way more than I expected to. It doesn't make me feel the way caffeine does. I know this because all caffeine does is help me not focus and frazzle my little nerves.

What is in the theraflu? Can I get huge amounts of it? How much does it cost? Is it highly dangerous and addictive? I think this could be useful if I ever get to grad school.

Perhaps I'll just have to start saving up all my nasty chores for when I'm sick and have an excuse to take this delightful drug =)

No comments: