Sunday, February 19, 2012

petite pansy pin




I recently crafted this little Pansy pin during a mini crisis; I suddenly realized a couple of weeks ago that I didn't have a clue what I was going to send to my mother for her Birthday and that the best thing to do would be to make her something very special that she couldn't find anywhere else. I knew I didn't have enough time to make anything very complex and I honestly didn't know if she would need an amigurumi or a tiny baby hat(the only things I can crochet right now) and I was certain that she didn't need any of my famous, holey pot holders, besides, I've given her so very many of them over the years and she has always sweetly used them, despite the fact that they offer no protection what-so-ever from burning hot pans.



So, in a moment of panicked despair I suddenly realized that I should give up any idea of making a grand, impressive piece that would elicit oohs and ahhs and just make something sweet and practical that she would probably like and use. Considering the fact that she loves pansies and the color purple, and the fact that she likes wearing accessories, a Pansy pin was the ideal gift!


This photo is of me modeling the pin. It's so pretty against a pink shirt!

Now that I've made a little Pansy pin and know how easy it is to make, I'd like to make one for myself as well. In my recent crafting phase, I've come to re-regard the glue gun as a friend rather than an enemy and even used it for one step of this project. Instead of trying to sew the flower onto the felt backing, I just glued it on. It actually looks better than if I'd tried to sew the pieces together. I would say that being more coordinated now than I was during the very gawky phases of my childhood have helped immensely in my ability to use a glue gun without burning myself horribly. What a revelation!! It may turn out to be a useful tool after all =)


You can see the uneven stitching of the Stamen - I was in a bit of a hurry =)

No comments: