Tuesday, February 22, 2011

yet another bread post



I double, triple swear I'm not turning this into a bread/baking blog. It may seem that way to anybody who has read my last few posts but in all honesty I'm still just really, super duper excited about the fact that I can make lovely little loaves with little to no effort. It's truly grand!

So, today I finally tried my hand at making a different size loaf of bread than whatever the one size ball o' dough usually makes. I wanted to make a few little loaves to use for Matthew's sandwiches and so I split the one pound ball o' dough into half and then split one of the halves into half again to make three pieces, one larger and two smaller. I had promised my neighbor a loaf of freshly baked bread and the larger of the three was intended for him. He, of course, took one of the smaller ones but I don't think Matthew will complain if he gets an extra large sandwich at some point this week. I, of course, had hoped to keep both the teensy loaves because they are just too tiny and cute.



For the most part, this was a very successful batch of bitty bread but I did learn something from this experience; when I want to make and bake more than one loaf at a time I need to put them on the baking stone one at a time. The largest loaf got a bit hung up on his way into the oven and I almost lost him. All worked out in the end, but for a couple seconds there we had a mini crisis in Lynnea's Little Kitchen.

5 comments:

Lunette Gleason Fleming said...

Heehee! I am so glad you are enjoying the "Artisan Bread in 5". It really is easy and I can't think of a reason to not to make bread every day. The only reason would be if I didn't have an oven. I better go shape my loaf now for dinner.

Lunette Gleason Fleming said...

I assume you are using your old baking stone or did you have to get a new one?

Lynnea said...

yes, fresh bread everyday! what a treat. I am using the old nasty pizza stone. Matthew looked up on the internet to see if it was okay to use and they actually suggested cooking greasy things on it to season it. weird. but I guess the plasticized oil is okay because my bread doesn't stick at all.

Anonymous said...

I looooooooved my loaf of rye bread. DELISH! And it's so cute!

Lynnea said...

Jessica,

Yay! i'm glad you liked it! it really was nummy and cute, even bread must be cute. perhaps in the near future, you'll be able to make your own adorable, tasty bread =)