Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bento Practice: The wee mousey



This little fellow turned out pretty well; in fact, he was the only successful aspect of my hurried, before-work bento practice. I realized that my bento making skills really need some practice, and so, on Friday I tried to make a bento with just vegetables, a few cheese flowers and a little honey roasted ham flower. Well, it made me realize that rice is essential for bentos; it props up all the goodies and creates a clean palate for color. My bento was just a jumble of little, cute treats that rattled around in their box. Matthew was very encouraging and suggested that I could easily redeem my silly mess by calling it Mouse in the Underbrush, therefore explaining why the little mouse was almost hidden by all the veggies and such. the whole scene was actually kind of cute in a way, but certainly not worth photographing. The little mouse, on the other hand, was just too cute not to show. Admittedly, his mouth is rather large and looks more like a moustache (mouse stash) but that's still cute!


Little mouse amongst the flowers.


He really is pretty cute.


Little mouse atop a flower.

2 comments:

Lunette Gleason Fleming said...

I thought the little chickies were cute but the mouse and flowers are cuter still. Before you know it, you are going to be a master of the bento art world. This is just soooo you.

Lynnea said...

Thank you. Honestly, the little mouse was very easy to make. I'll show you how when I'm home.