Friday, August 14, 2009

a pre-flight dinner



The night before we took off for San Jose, we enjoyed a healthy dinner of Hummus, Lebanese eggplant dip(which doesn't photograph well), and tomato soup. It was all delicious. I made the soup and eggplant dip because I had pounds of overripe heirloom tomatoes that needed to be used up. The 3 bucks-per-5 pound-bag deal was indeed a deal, but also caused a flurry of tomato panic in which I looked up only those recipes which use a maximum number of tomatoes. In the end they've all been consumed; I think that only one very tiny one went to waste.

No pictures of the tomatoes, since they weren't terribly photogenic. But I did think the hummus looked like a picture, so I took some pictures of it.



This hummus is a Lebanese recipe which has lots of parsley added in the grinding process, giving the hummus a green tinge, which I like. To make it, I took one can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained them. I then processed the beans with one clove of garlic, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, salt, juice of half a lemon, a pinch of cayenne and a nice handful of chopped parsley. Once that was well chopped and almost smooth, I added a touch more oil and a little water. I trickled the water in while the food processor was running, just until the hummus looked nice and loose and dippable.

No comments: