Monday, March 24, 2008

a new addition to the family

Recently, Matthew and I broke down and ordered a new laptop to replace my 8 year old behemoth that it still going strong, but slow. My old Hewlett Packard Pavilion was a high school graduation gift from my parents. It is the most expensive thing they've ever bought me and one of the most useful gifts I've ever received from them, or anybody for that matter. After the first 6 months of working out the kinks, my lappy and I have always maintained a fantastic relationship and I dearly love it, which is why I get teary eyed at the thought of replacing it.

Now that my new lappy is on it's way I've grown increasingly anxious about how the two lappies will get along. Actually, I avoided buying a new one for quite some time because of that very reason. I didn't want to hurt the old lappy's feelings and I really expected it to die years ago. It has been a good and dutiful computer for ever so long and to just casually toss it aside for something new and shiny and light(yes the old lappy weighs at least 10 pounds) seems too cruel. Admittedly, for the past 2-3 years, my baby lappy has only worked while plugged in and during this past year it has taken a good 2-4 minutes for Firefox to start up every morning. And starting up any other program is just a joke. But still, I worry about it's little feelings. I'm just sure it's going to start acting up the very minute the new one gets here. Just like an old dog does when a puppy joins the house hold. Either that or the old lappy will give up and decide his little sweet life isn't worth living.

Either way, I worry about it's sad little fate.

No comments: